Friday, November 8, 2013

Newfangled Material For Your Repairs

I know I've been quiet lately. I've suffered a bit of misfortune in the health department and I'm down to one useful arm for a while.

As I'm not able to type very well, I've been looking into repair techniques. I've been thinking about crafting replacement feet for the Royal Administrator. I know molding/curing rubber can be very involved, so I've been searching for a substitute material. Today I was reading a motorcycle website who did an intriguing review of a moldable, easy-curing rubber called Sugru

This stuff looks to be dead useful for typewriter fixes and improvements. I'm really excited to get my hands on some. I've ordered some black and white and I'm going to try blending to a gray color and molding new feet for the Administrator. I'll be sure to document the process.

Out of curiosity - does anyone out there have a foot from a Royal Diana or Administrator (I'm pretty sure they're the same) I could borrow to make a mold?  I can promise I would not damage the foot and I would return it within a few days. Please email me if you can help.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, interesting.. I have a QDL that could use new shoes (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a good one to work from we could make it a group project :)

      Delete
  2. Now this IS interesting. Combined with 3D printed moulds and....,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your arm. Hope everything heals fine.

    I went through the one useful hand/arm about 2 years ago. Funny how that got me typing. I was in P.T. when I got the idea to type. I dug out my old typewriter. Decided to search about it on line. Next thing I knew typewriters started multiplying.

    In the process I found typing on a manual typewriter is great P.T. I was out in 3 weeks and the Therapist told me injuries like mine are usually about 6 to 8 weeks before they can release the patient.

    Wow! Thanks for the link. I must try some of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Bill. I was just thinking that typing will be good exercise once I'm allowed full movement. Hopefully that will be soon.

      Delete
  4. I have a spare parts Diana, happy to post you boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert! I sent you a message via Hangouts.

      Delete